Note: This event has already taken place.
ENGLISH-SPANISH CONTRASTIVE ANALYSIS, COMMON PITFALLS AND NORMATIVE SPANISH
By Xosé Castro
Does speaking and writing correctly in Spanish matter to you? Are you interested in getting current on the RAE’s latest changes to the Spanish language? Whether you are a translator, interpreter, journalist, educator or student, or are simply interested in improving your Spanish language skills for professional or personal growth, you will not want to miss this opportunity!
This hands-on workshop will be conducted by internationally-renowned Spanish translator, proofreader, copywriter, and trainer Xosé Castro (see biography below). This rare opportunity is not to be missed!
A message from Xosé:
Location: Kellogg West Conference Center and Hotel @ Cal Poly Pomona (directions/map below)
Time: 8:30 – 5:00 PM
Social/Mixer: Immediately following event (Live Latin Music)
NOTE: This workshop will be conducted in Spanish.
About the workshop:
This is an introductory English-Spanish contrastive grammar analysis workshop. It will focus on common challenges translators and interpreters face when translating into Spanish, particularly in terms of grammatical structures, discursive elements, personal and impersonal styles, idioms, false cognates, loanwords and barbarisms, among others.
We will review some of the most common orthographic and grammatical pitfalls faced by translators from English into Spanish, especially when they live in an English-speaking country. Some specific topics that will be discussed are:
- Latest updates to academic Spanish
- Spanish norm versus usage
- Common pitfalls with punctuation: comma, colon, semicolon, period, ellipses
- Other punctuation marks: hyphen, dash, minus sign, forward slash, question mark, and exclamation mark
- Upper and lower case
- Prescriptive usage of typographic diacritical marks: cursive, quotation marks, italics, diacritical uppercase, and bold
- Traditional Spanish formatting and typographical anglicisms
- Paragraph and page formatting: page information presentation, headers, footers, and letterheads
- Quotes and bibliographic references
- Reference materials, lists, and websites to search for solutions to common questions
Additional Event Details:
- Check-In and Late-Registration 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
- Complimentary buffet lunch at approximately 12:00 PM
- Complimentary hot and cold beverages available throughout the workshop
- Discounted pricing at the Kellogg West Hotel is available. Single occupancy rate is $69 and double occupancy rate is $79 (complimentary breakfast included). This pricing is available through April 4, 2013. For booking please call 1.800.KWEST.76 (1.800.593.7876) and mention Xosé Castro Workshops.
- Free parking
- Complimentary Shuttle Service to and from Ontario International Airport by reservation only (48-hour advance notice required). Call 1.800.KWEST.76 (1.800.593.7876).
Social/Mixer immediately following the event at 5:00 PM. Unwind to the rhythms of live Latin Music and enjoy a no-host bar and great company!
About the Trainer:
Xosé Castro is an English to neutral, Latin American, and European Spanish freelance translator, proofreader and copywriter since 1990. He lives in Madrid, Spain. His main areas of specialization are technical translation, software localization, advertising and marketing. He also gives specialized training courses for translators: specialized translation, marketing strategies, computing tips & tricks, proofreading, and movie scripts translation, among other topics. He’s given presentations and workshops for translators in most Latin American countries and the United States. Since 1996, he has published more than 200 articles about translation and linguistics. He has also participated in thirteen books about specialized translation. Mr. Castro has served as a scriptwriter for Televisión Española (Spanish PBS) and as a co-host in a TV contest about language. He also writes articles on computing, photography and food for printed and online magazines.
For additional information about Mr. Castro’s professional experience visit http://xcastro.com/en/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xos%C3%A9_Castro_Roig.
The student discount is considerably lower than any other offers; therefore, additional Early Bird discount does not apply. Please select the ticket type “Student” to take advantage of this offer. This discount applies to students currently enrolled in translation/interpreting and/or language programs. Proof of current enrollment MUST be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Continuing Education Credits:
CIMCE (Court Interpreter Minimum Continuing Education)– 6 units (CIMCE # L2933) CIMCE guidelines: maximum of 6 units approved per day.
ATA (American Translators Association) – 7 units
About the location:
Kellogg West Conference Center and Hotel @ Cal Poly Pomona
Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel is uniquely located on a wooded hilltop overlooking cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg’s former ranch estate. Read more: http://www.kelloggwest.org/kw-history.aspx
To download or print map: http://www.kelloggwest.org/content/directions/kw-map-detail.pdf
From San Bernardino/Ontario
Take Interstate 10 west to Route 57 south. Exit Temple Avenue and make a right hand turn. Take Temple Avenue to University Drive and make a right hand turn. Take University Drive to Horse Hill Drive and make a right hand turn. Take Horse Hill Drive, staying to your left at the fork, to the Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel.
From Orange County/Anaheim
Take Route 57 north. Exit Temple Avenue and make a left hand turn. Take Temple Avenue to University Drive and make a right hand turn. Take University Drive to Horse Hill Drive and make a right hand turn. Take Horse Hill Drive, staying to your left at the fork, to the Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel.
Take Interstate 210 east to Route 57 south. Exit Temple Avenue and make a right hand turn. Take Temple Avenue to University Drive and make a right hand turn. Take University Drive to Horse Hill Drive and make a right hand turn. Take Horse Hill Drive, staying to your left at the fork, to the Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel.
GlobalTradu LLC reserves the right to cancel any event due to lack of enrollment or other factors. In the event of a cancellation, registered participants will be notified by e-mail and will receive a complete refund. If a participant chooses to cancel their confirmed registration, or cannot or does not attend the workshop, the following refund criteria will apply:
Cancellations must be sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations received 15 or more days from the scheduled event date will be offered a 50% refund
- Cancellations received 14 or less days from the scheduled event date will not be offered a refund
We hope to see you there!
The GlobalTradu Team
Conferences and Seminars
- Quality Interpreting where Medicine and the Law Intersect
- US Legalese and Mexico’s ‘Narco’ Terminology
- Let’s Talk Business and Do’s and Don’ts of Conference Interpreting – May 7, 2016
- Sight Translation: Improving Accuracy and Flow
- Occupational and Forensic Injury Terminology in Spanish – April 2, 2016
- Medical Terminology and Translation and Expert Panel Discussion with Fernando A. Navarro